Monday 4 January 2010

A New Year

4 January 2010

Blue sky.  Cold.  It is.  Not I have.  The first day of a new year completely on my own.  I awoke at 6.30 as the central heating came on.  I went back to sleep until 9.30 when the central heating went off.  Made a cup of lemon tea and came back to bed with it.  I have a stunning view of the Dearne Valley from my bedroom window.  The phone rang.  I was expecting my friend Stella to ring as she said that she would.  We are going to learn Turkish this month.  It was a wrong number.  I couldn't remember my own number.  I used my mobile to ring a number that I thought was mine but it wasn't.  A woman returned my call wanting to know who I was.  She sounded very strong.  I don't think I'd have done that.  I had to look at my CV to find out my own home phone number.

Had microwaved boil-in-the-bag kippers for breakfast.  Less than satisfactory.  Hung the washing in the basement. It is looking good in there.  Black, white and red in the style of Cesar Manriques.  If you don't know who he is, go to Lanzarote.


Blog interrupted by phone call from Stella.  Kippers worked their magic and I managed to have a poo during the phone call.  We swapped tales of our pre-Christmas trips to New York and San Francisco and discovered that we had both felt sick 40 minutes before landing in this country.  I forunately wasn't.  She blacked out and was, spectacularly.  We talked about the expectations of spending Christmas with loved ones falling short and liking being on our own, most of the time.  Agreed to learn the numbers 1 - 10, words of greeting and weights (for cheese etc) in Turkish by Thursday.

Blog title 'Highwaywoman' came about yesterday whilst walking beside the now defunct Earth Centre.  Walkers are laden with expensive clothes and gadgets and would be ripe for the modern-day highwayman or woman.  Chris Turpin?

No comments:

Post a Comment